Unlocking Investment in Africa’s Renewables: What are the Binding Constraints?
The Wellcome Collection, London
Home to some of the world's fastest growing economies, sub-Saharan Africa is currently facing a large electricity deficit, which results in frequent black-out periods and has an impact on education, health and business.
This one-day event is looking at why renewable energy has not taken off in Africa, despite significant promises of investment. It will share unique insights from the Green Growth Diagnostics in Africa project into the blockages or "binding constraints" to green investment, with Ghana and Kenya as case studies.
Who should go?
A must-go event for anyone working on investment in renewables in Africa, particularly: industry, practitioners, academics and investors.
Programme for the day
We have organised five expert panels around the following areas, which will both share insights from our research and from their own experiences, in the following areas:
- Social acceptance
- Political economy
Distinguished speakers will include:
- Andrew Barnett, the Policy Practice, UK
- Dr. Simon Bawakyillenuo, Institute of Statistical, Social and Economic Research, Ghana
- Guy Doyle, Chief Economist, Energy & Carbon at Mott MacDonald, UK
- Dr Jeremy Lind, Research Fellow, Resource Politics, IDS, UK
- Professor Yacob Muguletta, Energy and Development Policy, UCL, UK
- Dickson Khainga, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis, Kenya
- Ashington Ngigi, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis, Kenya
- Professor Ignacio Pérez-Arriaga, Electrical Engineering, Comillas University, Spain (tbc)
- Dr Ana Pueyo, Research Fellow (GGDA Project Lead), Green Transformations, IDS, UK
- Boris Schinke, Senior Advisor - Energy and Development, Germanwatch, Germany (tbc)
- Lucy Stevens, Senior Policy and Practice Adviser, Energy and Urban WASH and waste management, Practical Action, UK
- Dr Neal Wade, Senior Research Associate, School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Newcastle University, UK