BRICS and Rising Powers
Globally and politically, the influence of the BRICS countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China, and since 2011, South Africa – is rapidly increasing. They have been engaged in official and non-official development cooperation for decades, but their role as development actors has only recently been acknowledged by the development community.
These rising powers, once predominantly regarded as aid recipient countries, are now becoming more active as donors in their own right, raising important issues for debates on the future of international development cooperation.
IDS work on the BRICS and rising powers includes:
- The Rising Powers in International Development Programme – one of IDS' flagship programmes, launched in 2012 to understand the role of the BRICS and other regional powers in international development.
- The IDS BRICS Initiative marked the launch of a partnership between IDS and academics, research institutes and civil society in the BRICS countries to establish a conceptual framework and common methodology to study the emergence of the BRICS.
- The Development Studies Learning Partnership – working with research and teaching institutions in the BRICS countries to co-construct new thinking and resources for teaching and learning within the discipline of development studies.
- Brazil and China in Africa – the Future Agricultures Consortium is examining how the rising powers are changing agricultural development in Africa, and the Globalisation team are exploring China's approach to governance, development and state-building in Africa's fragile states.
- Building Russia's capacity as a donor – IDS is providing teaching and training courses on development aid to Russian academic institutions.
Find an IDS expert
Use our online directory to find an expert on research or by team.Find a person
Related Content - News & Blogs
BLOG: China and Brazil in African Agriculture - news roundup
By Henry Tugendhat
BLOG: BRICS star rises with new WTO boss
By Musab Younis
Related Content - Events
India’s dream run, 2003-2008
29 May 2013 13:00 to 14:30
Room 221, IDS
Will the BRICS Bank change development and shift the global balance of power?
11 June 2013 18:00 to 19:30
Committee Room 16, House of Commons
The Damage Done: Inequality, Poverty and Vulnerability
6 May 2014 - 8 May 2014