Climate change is already affecting the world's poorest and most vulnerable people, who often lack the robust systems and capacity needed to cope. While 'mitigation' through tackling greenhouse gas emissions is crucial to limiting impacts, some change is inevitable and climate change 'adaptation' is now a central issue in development.
Efforts to integrate climate change adaptation into the development process must ensure that the most vulnerable groups are central to the rapidly expanding climate change research and policy agenda. At the same time, future international climate change regimes must be built on principles of equity, deliver dramatic carbon reductions, establish low-carbon development pathways and provide funding mechanisms that reach the most vulnerable people.
Colleagues across IDS are carrying out research and policy analysis on climate change:
- Our dedicated Climate Change Team is building global capacity to meet these challenges through pioneering research and innovative knowledge partnerships;
- IDS Knowledge Services provide a range of information-sharing services, such as the Eldis Climate Change Resource Guide.
- Researchers in the STEPS Centre, based in our Knowledge, Technology and Society Team are examining issues of sustainability and energy access; and
- IDS Globalisation Team is exploring low-carbon development and issues around global climate finance.
IDS work on climate change focuses on three main themes:
- Climate Change Vulnerability and Resilience - Building adaptation and disaster risk reduction policies that contribute to eradicating poverty
- Climate Change Knowledge and Learning - Improving our understanding of whose voices and whose knowledge counts in climate policies
- Low-carbon Development - Meeting the challenge of achieving sustainable economic growth.
Related Content - News & Blogs
Related Content - Events
The Search for Stability through Stabilisation: Case Studies from Afghanistan and Nepal
28 May 2013 13:00 to 14:30
Room 221, Institute of Development Studies
India’s dream run, 2003-2008
29 May 2013 13:00 to 14:30
Room 221, IDS
Will the BRICS Bank change development and shift the global balance of power?
11 June 2013 18:00 to 19:30
Committee Room 16, House of Commons