ESCO Box: Smart monitoring, billing and control for pro-poor access to energy services
IDS will contribute to the research programme ESCO Box: Smart monitoring, billing and control for pro-poor access to energy services led by De Montfort University.
IDS will lead on the work package addressing Evaluation of poverty impacts of smart monitoring, billing and control systems. This will analyse the effectiveness of ESCoBox in increasing access to electricity for poor people, looking at ESCoBox’s ability to:
- increase adoption rates of renewable electricity;
- increase the establishment of electricity supply businesses (ESCos);
- increase entrepreneurial activities in poor communities;
- change electricity consumption patterns in households and small businesses;
- enable households and small businesses to better understand their power usage and plan accordingly. WP4 combines qualitative and quantitative techniques.