Framework for Assessing the Impacts of Efforts to Enhance Access to Nutritious Foods
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and IDS are working together to build a framework for assessing the impacts of efforts to enhance access to nutritious foods through in-depth analysis of the Grameen Danone case. This is part of a research programme funded by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) on 'Agriculture for Nutrition and Health'.
The objective of the research is to develop capacity and an analytical approach for the analysis of value chains-based initiatives aimed at enhancing access and consumption of nutritious foods by the poor and to use this learning to develop research proposals on leveraging value chains for nutrition. This will be achieved through analysis of Grameen Danone in Bangladesh as an illustrative case study. This specific case will be used to develop capacity within the partner organisations and an analytical approach to be applied later to a far wider portfolio of value chain-based interventions.
The research aims to:
- Develop an analytical approach that can be applied to understand better the efficacy of value chain-based initiatives aimed at enhancing access and consumption of nutritious foods by the poor.
- Undertake an in-depth case study of Grameen Danone with a focus on its effectiveness at achieving sustained consumption of a nutritious food by priority sub-groups in the population, the likely nutritional impacts of this, the challenges faced and the mechanism through which these have been addressed.
- Draw general conclusions on the effectiveness of value chain-based initiatives at achieving sustained consumption of a nutritious food.
- Develop skills and approaches for understanding the effectiveness of value chain-based interventions more widely and that can be employed in a larger and longer-term research programme on value chains for nutritious foods.
- Develop a proposal for a major research programme into leveraging value chains for nutritious foods that utilises the analytical approach developed herein.