GODAN Action - Enabling practical engagement with open data in agriculture and nutrition
The Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN) initiative seeks to support global efforts to make agricultural and nutritionally relevant data available, accessible, and usable worldwide.
The initiative focuses on building high-level policy support for open data in the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors. GODAN encourages collaboration and cooperation among existing agriculture and open data activities, and brings together stakeholders to solve global challenges. GODAN Action is a three-and-a-half-year programme launched by the UK's Department of International Development.
GODAN Action brings together agriculture and nutrition specialists and open data experts and will support GODAN in its mission by building people’s capacity to engage with open data. IDS is supporting the research uptake compinent of the project.
The project aims to contribute to increased farmers’ yields, improved nutrition for consumers and better evidence based policy making. Achieving such impacts requires that individuals, organisations and communities feel confident in engaging with open data.
The activities of GODAN Action will focus on three focal areas:
- Standards - Enhancing data standards and promoting best practice in agriculture and nutrition to improve interoperability.
- Research - Identifying and improving tools and methods for evaluation of the impact of open data usage in initiatives and investments in agriculture and nutrition.
- Capacity - Building the capacity and diversity of open data users, leading to more effective use of data in tackling key agriculture and nutrition challenges.
These focal areas will be supported by activities aiming at uptake of its results and monitoring & evaluation.
GODAN Action brings together a balanced mix of backgrounds and experience with a strong track record in agriculture and nutrition and open data. Led by Wageningen UR it includes:
- Open Data Institute
- Land Portal Foundation
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Institute of Development Studies
For resources, events and news, please visit the GODAN Action website.