IDS Alumni Network
Keeping in touch after life at IDS
Our online alumni network creates opportunities for alumni to build connections across continents, cohorts and year groups.
With IDS members also invited online the network is a vast source of practical and professional expertise, support and guidance for alumni at all stages of their career.
The platform aims to enhance professional networks by connecting alumni across the globe with others who share IDS’ distinctive approach to development theory and practice. It offers a safe space for re-igniting the challenging discussions held whilst at IDS; it provides a practical place to share jobs, learning opportunities, publications and perspectives; and is designed to support IDS to build stronger relationships with alumni to enhance the research, teaching and learning, and impact of IDS’ work.
How to join the online Alumni Network
- Visit www.alumni.ids.ac.uk
- Register by creating your own username and password – you do not need to use your IDS e-mail for life unless you choose to. If you use a LinkedIn account to register, your profile picture and some profile data will be transferred in one simple click.
- Your membership will be activated within two working days.
- Once your membership is activated, complete your personal profile, or import your Linked-In profile – adding a picture add you to the ‘new members’ list visible in the side bar.
- Help grow the network by inviting other alumni from your cohort or country network to sign up.
Read our IDS_Alumni_Online_Network_Guidelines (pdf) to find out how to build your network; share jobs, and post opinions and initiatives on the network.
Getting the most out of the online Alumni Network
As the online network is an exclusive members only platform – meaning anything that is posted on the platform is only accessed by members – material posted by users is not all expected to be ‘publication’ standard however some checks on content will be made.
Alumni Network rules
- Respect other people’s opinion – we hope and expect that you will be polite and constructive in your dialogue at all times.
- Please do not use insensitive, offensive or rude language – we reserve the right to remove anything we deem inappropriate or which prompts complaints from other users.
- Please ensure that anything you wish to post is freely available for others to use / access.
- We encourage you to share exciting programmes or initiatives that you are involved in through your work and to recommend useful tools and books; however please take care to share your opinion on these and not use the online network to promote organisational positions or products
The value and worth of the platform is dependent on the participation and engagement of those who wish to benefit – the more you contribute to the platform the more you will gain from it.
Have a two-way relationship with alumni on the platform through sharing jobs, learning opportunities and engaging in dialogue around other’s posts.
If you wish to ask someone, or the group, for help or advice, be as specific as you can to make it easier for others to respond and to ensure you get useful input – and don’t forget to follow-up with thanks and to let them know how the advice helped you.
Alumni mentoring and advice service
The online mentoring and advice programme connect students and alumni to help you find a long-term mentor or get answers to specific career questions. For example, how to go about relocating to a new country or region, preparing for an interview, writing an application, or getting industry specific help.
The Email-for-Life is a service available to all IDS alumni; it is a permanent @alumni.ids.ac.uk email address, with an option to redirect mail from that account to another email address. Alumni report having used their email-for-life for job applications; connecting with other alumni; staying in touch with IDS etc. If you’ve forgotten your password or don’t have an alumni email please complete the short form in the link below and our technical team will be in touch to help you.
Get help with our IDS email-for-life
IDS Alumni Ambassadors work closely with IDS to improve alumni services, organise events and reunions as well as provide important networking opportunities.
Find your country Alumni Ambassador