China International Development Research Network (CIDRN) Public Event, co-organised by the China-UK Partnership Programme on Knowledge for Development and CIDRN.
Richard Manning, Chair of CRPD’s Advisory Council, will share his insights into two key current topics, ‘Trends, Transformation and Challenges in International Development Co-operation’ and ‘The BRICS in International Development – a New Assessment’.
Topic 1: Trends, Transformation and Challenges in International Development Co-operation
Moderator: Cheng Guoqiang, Secretary General Academic Committee, Director-General of International Cooperation Department, DRC
This panel will briefly review the history of international development co-operation against the wider context of economic development but continuing inter-state inequality. It will consider three key issues:
- Current shifts and trends among donor and recipient countries.
- Tensions between the promotion of sustainable development and competing national interests, and initiatives to improve development effectiveness.
- Possible implications for international development co-operation due to recent changes in development funding.
Topic 2: The BRICS in International Development – a New Assessment
Moderator: Qiao Jianrong, Senior Advisor, DFID China Office
This session will introduce the recently-published book, ‘The BRICS in International Development’. The book offers a comparative perspective on the increasingly significant development cooperation activities of the BRICS. The authors, from Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa and OECD countries, review the empirical evidence for the BRICS’ modes of development cooperation and their geographical reach, and explore the historical background and patterns of international development engagement of each country.
They also present a cutting-edge analysis of the broader geopolitical shifts, distinctive ideologies and normative discourses that are influencing and informing their engagement in increasingly ambitious joint projects such as the New Development Bank.
- 13th September 2016, The UK and the BRICS. Forging Global Partnerships for the Future, London, UK.
- 18th September 2016, The BRICS Amidst Evolving Cooperation and Competition, Goa, India.
- 14th October 2016, The BRICS in International Development, OECD, Paris, France.
- Gu, J., Shankland, A., and Chenoy, A. (Eds.), The BRICS in International Development, Palgrave Macmillan IPE Series, 2016.
- Herbst, N., ‘The UK and the BRICS. Forging Global Partnerships for the Future‘, IDS Blogs, 31 October 2016.