We provide world-class, tailored and supportive professional development learning opportunities for those working in non-governmental organisations, governments, multilateral agencies and research institutions to develop and put into practice the individual and organisational skills and expertise critical to realising transformative social change.
Our track record
Established in 1966 as Britain’s first international training Institute, we have extensive experience in facilitating high quality professional development learning programmes. Together with the University of Sussex, IDS is ranked first in the world for development studies by the QS World University Rankings.
Our professional development facilitators bring a unique expertise in designing and facilitating interactive and supportive learning environments which are shaped by participants needs and designed to promote mutual learning and exchange.
Our professional development and learning programmes
Our professional development learning portfolio includes:
- Open-application Short Courses based at IDS such as the Transforming Nutrition short course.
- Bespoke courses delivered for clients in other venues around the world such as the applied Multi-Methods Research Course that IDS developed with the Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR).
- Summer Schools based at IDS such as the STEPS Centre Summer School.
- Learning journeys that offer thematic training over a period of time and are a key component of our Knowledge, Evidence and Learning for Development Programme.
- Online and blended learning such as the Mhealth, Health Systems and Development course.
- Bespoke learning activities developed with partners, based on their professional development learning needs.