We provide world-class, tailored and supportive professional development courses and learning opportunities for those working in non-governmental organisations, governments, multilateral agencies and research institutions to develop and put into practice the individual and organisational skills and expertise critical to realising transformative social change.
Coronavirus update: We continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation and have introduced a range of measures that will limit social interaction and potential transmission. Although applications for our short courses remain open we advise participants who incur any travel costs (e.g. flights, accommodation, visas etc) to ensure they have adequate travel insurance, as stated in our short course terms and conditions. If your course is cancelled, we will refund your course fees in full.
Our track record
Established in 1966 as Britain’s first international training Institute, we have extensive experience in facilitating high quality executive education and learning programmes. IDS is ranked first in the world for development studies by the QS World University Rankings, together with the University of Sussex. We are also ranked best international development policy think tank.
Our professional development facilitators bring a unique expertise in designing and facilitating interactive and supportive learning environments which are shaped by participants needs and designed to promote mutual learning and exchange.
Our professional development and learning programmes
Our professional development learning portfolio includes:
- Open-application Short Courses based at IDS such as the Transforming Nutrition short course. (Scroll down the page for our upcoming courses list.)
- Bespoke learning activities developed with partners, based on their professional development learning needs, hosted at IDS or at partner’s facilities. Examples include our Shaping policy with evidence and applied multi-methods research course.
- Summer Schools based at IDS such as the STEPS Centre Summer School.
- Learning journeys that offer thematic training over a period of time and are a key component of our Knowledge, Evidence and Learning for Development Programme.
- Online and blended learning such as our Mhealth, Health Systems and Development course.
Our clients include governments, UN agencies, philanthropic organisations, non-governmental and civil society organisations. See a selection of our clients
For more information contact Leah Plati