The paper portrays a Hazarah perspective on questions regarding reconciliation and negotiations with armed groups in Afghanistan.
The paper explores:
- the Hazarah perception that reconciliation with the Taliban is impossible and immoral
- ethno-sectarian tensions underlying the issue of reconciliation
- the view that ‘reconciliation’ is a political game employed to consolidate Pashtun power
- the plausibility of reconciliation, and its incompatibility with democratic principles
- the issue of assurances and guarantees