Our vision is a world in which poverty does not exist, social justice prevails and economic growth is focused on improving human wellbeing. We believe that research knowledge can drive the change that must happen in order for this vision to be realised.
Founded in 1966, IDS enjoys an international reputation based on the quality of our work and our commitment to applying academic skills to real-world challenges. Our theory of change is at the heart of what we do. We think that knowledge should be generated by sound methodology and in partnership with other development and non-development actors.
IDS hosts five dynamic research teams, several popular postgraduate courses, and a family of world-class knowledge services. These three spheres are integrated in a unique combination – as a development knowledge hub, IDS is connected into, and is a convenor of, networks throughout the world.
The Institute is home to approximately 100 researchers, 40 knowledge services staff, 65 professional staff and about 200 students at any one time. But the IDS community extends far beyond, encompassing an extensive network of over 250 partners, over 2000 alumni and hundreds of former staff across the development community worldwide.
Find out more about our work
- Our achievements: Read our Annual Report and find out about our vision and strategy.
- Working at IDS: Find out about current job vacancies.
- Research: Browse the range of themes we work on and find out more about our multidisciplinary research teams and flagship research programmes.
- Studying: Find out more about our postgraduate Masters courses, our popular PhD research programme, and our professional training courses.
- Information: Explore our highly-regarded knowledge services and the IDS-hosted British Library for Development Studies.
Our vision is a world in which poverty does not exist, social justice prevails and economic growth is focused on improving human wellbeing.