We transform knowledge, action, and leadership to build more equitable and sustainable societies where everyone can live their lives free of poverty and injustice. Our work has measurable, lasting impact but is only possible because of the donations and funding from those who share our commitment to making positive transformation happen – in our societies, economies, and environment.
We are the leading global development studies research institute. Over the last fifty years, our world-class research, learning and partnerships have contributed to lasting, progressive social, political and environmental transformation. We build the next generation of leaders through our commitment to teaching excellence, professional development, and organisational learning.
Our action orientated approach to research and knowledge inspires change realised through our global network of researchers, policy professionals, activists, students, alumni; and by partnerships with governments, research and policy institutions, civil society organisations and the private sector.
Support us to transform lives globally
We are an independent charity and receive no core funding, relying on donations and on funding from project grants. We operate to robust ethical and transparent financial procedures which makes us a highly trusted partner and provider.
Every donation makes a difference and will support us to enable better lives globally. Your support could:
- Enable a talented scholar who could otherwise not afford to study at IDS to attend and gain skills to go on to make a difference in their home country.
- Support marginalised communities to develop their resilience to climate change. In India, our research is being used to define the policies needed to sustain local wellbeing and livelihoods (the IDS climate justice strategic research initiative)
- Improve Covid-19 vaccine take-up by integrating social science evidence and people’s lived experiences into policy and practice.
- Strengthen evidence-informed global development policy making. We work with government ministries to deliver rapid evidence summaries and learning services that enable staff to innovate and respond more effectively to rapidly changing and complex development challenges.
- Establish new research and policy collaborations in areas facing accelerating environmental, economic, political and social change. In Pakistan, we are collaborating with leading voices to co-develop the South Asia Human Development Report and inspire policy debate on governance, women’s empowerment, agricultural development, health, regional cooperation and education.
These are just some examples of how your support could help build more equitable and sustainable societies. If you want to find out more or discuss your donation, please get in touch. Email [email protected] or telephone Michelle on +44 (0) 1273 91 5668.