The Coalition for Religious Equality and Inclusive Development (CREID) provides research evidence and delivers practical programmes which aim to redress the impact of discrimination on the grounds of religion or belief, tackle poverty and exclusion, and promote people’s wellbeing and empowerment.
Currently, discrimination on the grounds of religion or belief can mean that people lack access to basic services such as health or education, experience verbal, emotional or physical violence and abuse, and be excluded from vital social and political processes. CREID believes that freedom of religion or belief is essential for people living in poverty to achieve their potential, live in dignity, free from stigma and exclusion.
Our work will produce new research evidence and develop innovative practical programmes, and will be focused in Egypt, Iraq, Myanmar/Burma, Pakistan and Nigeria.
We are currently working on:
- Mainstreaming awareness of Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB) in development to ensure that policies and programmes are sensitive and responsive to inequalities on the ground of religion or belief
- Investing in opportunities for interfaith service delivery in communities where there are poverty and religious tensions
- Monitoring hate speech and looking at how digital technology and media are affecting social harmony
- Building coalitions at national level and supporting local campaigns promoting FoRB
- Engendering cross fertilisation for religious inclusivity by bringing about collaboration between humanitarian organisations, faith leaders, rights activists and development practitioners.
Download our first Working Paper entitled ‘Inclusive Development: Beyond Need, not Creed‘.
Religious Inequalities in Development seminar series
The Religious Inequalities in Development seminar series challenges us to understand why inequalities underpinned by individual belief and/or religious affiliation to a community have been a blind spot for international development for so long. What can be done to better understand and integrate an approach to Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB) into global development? Find out more about forthcoming seminars or watch videos of past seminars.
Check out our CREID YouTube playlist for videos of speeches, panel discussions, seminars and interviews.